Saturday, November 5, 2011

Sunday Favorites

Fall is definitely here and my flowers will soon go to sleep for the winter months so I'd thought I share one last look at my hydrangeas when they were at their peak this summer.

Originally posted in June 2011




This month my hydrangeas are at their peak so I thought I would share some of my favorites.






This is a varitey that can tolerate more sun than most ...I love the pink and purple blooms and leathery foilage.  Wish I could find the plant tag or remember the name of this one as it does great in
our hot summers!

The hydrangeas below are all 'Nikko Blue' a tried and true variety and easy to find.




My hydrangea border is behind my house and only gets the east morning sun...they love this location and share it with our resident turtle Mr. "T" who has been out and about again.







The oakleaf hydrangea is in the foreground..first white elongated blooms that turn lime green.  










The variety is 'Nikko Blue' but some do bloom more pink so I just add more organic material like peat moss or pecan hulls to make the ph of the soil more acidic.   I don't mind if some are pink  as it just adds more color to my border.  






No matter what color they are I just love these big mopheads!!    Right now I am having to give them plenty of extra waterings as the temperatures are above 100 degrees. 



As summer heat turns to fall the blooms turn a wonderful lime green with touches of mauve..and that's when I cut them for drying in arrangements.



If you've never grown them I highly recommend you give them a try... with a little extra care you won't be disappointed!





I'm joining Chari's Sunday Favorites and 
Tootsie's Flaunt your Flowers
this week go by and visit!


17 comments:

  1. Sonia, those are absolutely beautiful. I hope to plant some in my landscape this spring. Thanks for sharing those beautiful blooms. Blessings!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is one of my most favorite flowers, and you certainly know how to grow gorgeous ones! My husband does all the gardening around here and is very good at it, but I know next to nothing about plantings and such. I learned that there are different types of hydrangea, thanks to you! I am going to beg for him to grow some in our yard!

    ReplyDelete
  3. So gorgeous. I love Nikko Blue - they're my favorites! I hope you don't have a horrible winter. We're already getting hard rain and it got down into the mid 30's here last night. So cold for us wimpy CA types! We can dream of beautiful hydrangeas all winter.

    :-)
    Robin

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love your hydrangeas. I don't have an oak leaf but I do have lime lights. Aren't they a nice variation. Still love the tried and true Nikko. Thanks for sharing, Ginger

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for your comment on Sweetwater Style! I am YOUR newest follower. Too funny that you are Miss Bloomers...as I am Sra. Bloomgren in my school.....and if you look at my blog you will see almost identical photos of my hydrangeas....check out my post on drying them using glycerine
    http://sweetwaterstyle.blogspot.com/2011/09/drying-hydrangeas-for-lasting-beauty.html
    and one for making sure the fresh flowers last.
    http://sweetwaterstyle.blogspot.com/2011/07/hydrangeas-in-house-tips-for-making.html
    Enjoy your Sunday!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hydrangeas are my favorite flower...these are gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Every spring I say I am going to plant hydrangeas and I never do!! next year for sure! Your are so pretty! Do you dry them, too?

    XO,
    Janes

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi Sonia...

    Sooo very happy to see you for the Sunday Favorites party this week, dear friend! What a lovely post to revisit! I really do think that hydrangeas is my favorite flower...and I have never grown them! I'm not sure if they would do well here in my little corner of Colorado or not. I haven't even seen anyone grow them around here. But...they are my favorite...the big blooms...and the gorgeous colors! I haven't seen a hydrangea that I haven't fell in love with yet! wink! Thank you for sharing your lovely garden with us. I know that you must be sad to see them go...but they will return again!

    Love ya,
    Chari

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hydrangeas were my father's favorite. Reminds me of how our backyard used to look. They are lovely!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Beautiful! The cold has already gotten mine. Hope you are having a great week!...hugs...Debbie

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hi Sonia!

    I LOVE Mr. T!!!! How long has he been there?

    Don't blame him the flowers are so pretty!

    HPS!

    love, kelee katillac

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hello Sonia, I too love hydrangeas. Yours are stunning. What a joy to see all this beauty in your own back yard.
    Happy Pink Sat.
    Hugs, Jeanne

    ReplyDelete
  13. Sonia, they are gorgeous! Oh how I wish I could grow hydrangeas here. Just haven't had any luck. Thanks for sharing yours.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Sonia, your hydrangeas are just fabulous! They are one of my very favorite blooms! It is sad to see them go!!! My hydrangeas are long gone,thanks for the sweet reminder.
    Yvonne

    ReplyDelete
  15. They are so beautiful! Hydrangeas are my favorites, especially when they are towards the blue color. Your border just looks amazing!!!

    Nancy

    ReplyDelete
  16. Oh how I love hydrangea!!!
    Once again I am just loving the tour of all the gardens that have linked in to my little party! I am so excited to visit each and every post...they are all so inspiring and I am NEVER disappointed! The creative gardens and colorful displays that I am lucky to see are inspirations that I would never have found had I not found each of the gardeners I see online! Thank you so much for sharing your garden with my Friday Flaunt this week...I do hope you will link in again soon!
    This post is being shared on my Tootsie Time Facebook page too just so you are aware.
    (¯`v´¯)
    `*.¸.*´Glenda/Tootsie
    ¸.•´¸.•*¨) ¸.•*¨)
    (¸.•´ (¸.•´ .•´ ¸¸.•¨¯`•.

    ReplyDelete
  17. They were lovely this year, hydrangeas. I'm sorry for not drying some heads, now that they're all gone. I'm treasuring some little dried florets I brought in the other evening.

    ReplyDelete

I love to hear from you!