Tuesday, April 3, 2018

April Freeze!




We had sunshine and 77 degrees a few days ago.   Mom and I had visited the garden center last week and couldn't resist  purchasing a few plants knowing that our last freeze date had not arrived.  Blame it on Spring Fever I guess!  I spent Saturday afternoon putting them in the greenhouse instead of the usual garage location. 


I did purchase two wire shelves that are 72 inches tall and 36 inches wide.  They hold 15 flats each and will provide plenty of room to start seedlings,  hold my patio pots and store gardening supplies.




My hubbie did place a small heater in the greenhouse and we've have been monitoring the temperature periodically.  Sunday night it did get down to 32 degrees outside and the greenhouse maintained 46 degrees.   


This is a learning experience for us and so far we are very happy with our little greenhouse.  Last week with the sun shining the temperature soared to 100 degrees inside and we now leave the doors open on sunny days.  I planted some herbs and and tomatoes this week and they will remain in the greenhouse safe from squirrels, birds and rabbits.  I will add a screen curtain in the doorway to keep them out.





The weather reports say we will get down to the 20's tonight.  I do hope they are wrong by a few degrees!   It's in the 60's outside now and we have really strong winds.   I did go out and water plants and will be covering up my hydrangeas in hopes they will not be damaged.  Crossing my fingers!



Spring in Oklahoma is full of weather challenges and I'm already grateful to have a little greenhouse to 
protect my plants and garden goodies.  






5 comments:

  1. Sonia, you are going to have so much fun with your greenhouse!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sonia, your greenhouse looks so beautiful! All the plants and shelves and decorative things are so well-thought-out. I hope you enjoy many hours pottering about in there this spring! Best Regards, -Beth

    ReplyDelete
  3. April Freeze is right! It has warmed up this afternoon, but yesterday and this morning were definitely sit by a fire kind of days. Your greenhouse looks great. Happy Spring!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yes, we've had such crazy Spring weather. Then I thought the cold was done. Thankfully, something came up and I wasn't able to purchase and plant my annuals. I surely would have lost them in that last freeze we had. But all the rain and sunshine has our yard so green and the perennials are blooming! Makes me happy! Planting more annuals tomorrow. Have a wonderful weekend~

    ReplyDelete
  5. What beautiful pictures!
    Nice to meet your blog.
    janicce.

    ReplyDelete

I love to hear from you!