Thursday, June 23, 2016

Signature Flower

Do you have a favorite flower that just makes 
your heart sing?
My 'Stargazer' lilies are in full bloom and I have shared before that they have to be my all time favorite and "signature" flower. My love of this flower goes back 30 years when my husband bought me a pot of stargazers from the grocery store because he thought they were so beautiful.  



After they finished blooming I read the plant tag and discovered they could be planted in the garden so I plunked  that first pot of Stargazers in the ground and forgot about them.  To my amazement they came back the following year!  I was forever hooked and each year I've added more to my garden and have shared this wonderful flower with friends.  






I guess I was amazed because of their tropical and exotic  appearance.  Something I would expect to grow in Florida, Hawaii or the Philippines where I grew up,  so I couldn't believe they could survive the winters here in Oklahoma.  Since they are bulbs they do very well here and 
usually bloom around the 4th of July.  
This year they are blooming early due to the 
mild winter we had and I'm okay with that! 


Last year I decided to purchase large pots and planted about 40 bulbs in pots and near my patio so we could enjoy not only the beauty but the scent.   I do have lilies out in the garden too but find I can really enjoy them having so many 
right off the patio.
They have a very strong fragrance which some people find overpowering.  I happen to love how they perfume a room or the patio.  




I have found after 4-5 years they need to be replaced but what joy they give me for a small investment!
I encourage everyone to plant them because you can grow them in a small space on a patio even if you don't have a yard or 
garden area. 





I love cutting them and making bouquets to bring in the house and share with friends.   





 Mother's Day bouquet from my son.




If you're not growing them you really should try adding them to your garden.  Bulbs are available in spring and fall.  




I'm linking with Thoughts of Home on Thursday
and
Bernideen's Tea in the Garden 







8 comments:

  1. Sonia- I am so glad you joined us at Thoughts of Home.
    Your lilies are beautiful, and I love their vivid pink color.
    I have never grown lilies but you have inspired me to try.

    Laura
    White Spray Paint

    ReplyDelete
  2. I too love stargazer lilies. When I lived in Michigan, I planted them in my back yard. Oh they are beautiful and smell so sweet. Great photos!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I do love the beauty and the fragrance of Stargazers! Casablanca is another oriental lily with a very nice fragrance.
    My signature flower would be coneflowers. I love them, and have many. My other favorite flowers are daylilies and lupins.
    Your Stargazers are gorgeous! Enjoy!

    ReplyDelete
  4. What gorgeous lilies! Thank you so very much for sharing this wonderful post at Thoughts of Home on Thursday.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Very pretty flowers. Their scent is lovely. You really have been successful growing them and glad they have brought so much pleasure.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Your lillies are gorgeous. My sister has some in her front yard and I often think I need to add these gorgeous beauties to my garden. Next time I see them at the nursery they just may come home with me!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I live way up north and can grow these too! I'm one though that can't tolerate their scent but they are truly a beautiful flower are wonderful for arrangements.

    ReplyDelete
  8. This is my Daughter's favorite When I buy her flowers This lily is it. I have a hard time getting them to live. sometimes they don't come up the first year. I plant them in an i6 inch high 8ft bed so there should be no drainage problem. I keep trying I never give up. All my roses died and I am having to start over.

    ReplyDelete

I love to hear from you!