Wednesday, July 23, 2014

Washington Creek Lavender Farm

I love lavender and when my sweet hubbie offered to take me up to Lawrence, Kansas last Sunday to visit a lavender farm I was more than thrilled.   
I had been searching for lavender farms in driving distance to our home when I found
website.  There are only two lavender farms in Oklahoma that I know about and one was closed this year so I was 
excited about the opportunity to visit a farm this season that was just finishing their harvest. 


We were warmly greeted by the owner,  Jack Wilson and given a personal tour.   Jack shared lots of great information about  growing lavender and the different varieties they grow at their farm.  He showed us the damage that his mature lavender plants endured with -45 degree wind chills this past winter.    I was sad to see all the dead plants some of which were 10 years old.   They are letting some of the partially damaged plants remain in hopes that next year they will continue to show more growth, but many will 
have to be removed. 







Kathy and Jack Wilson started the farm in 2005 and they now have about 6,000 plants on the farm.   The varieties are labeled and Jack said that  'Melissa' performed well and didn't have a lot of winter damage. 


  I am definitely going to try it in my garden next spring.   'Grosso' is one of my favorites and their ten year old 'Grosso' plants were heavily damaged.   I think farmers and gardeners are optimistic people...even in the face of adversity we hope for a better and more productive year.   I think it's in our DNA. 


The beautiful red barn was built last year and houses the drying room for the lavender and the gift shop.  It is solar powered and the farm is certified organic.  We were impressed with the Wilson's hard work and commitment  to the environment.   



Kathy hand paints and makes 
most of the items in the gift shop.  







There is a nice selection of lavender products, sachets, eye pillows, dryer sheets, lavender bouquets, culinary lavender and wreaths are just a few of the organic 
products they offer. 
I've already used the lavender dryer sheets
 and my towels and sheets 
smell wonderful!




The drying room was beautiful and what a treat it was to walk through the rows and pick out a fresh bundle from the different varieties.   A little piece of heaven!


They have started a new garden in the front of the barn that will showcase different lavenders and companion plants that grow well together.  They don't any have running water on the farm so Jack has to bring it up from their nearby home in a large drum to hand water new plants.   Once established the plants rely only on rainfall.   


The countryside surrounding the farm was beautiful and we noticed so many wonderful old barns on our way to visit Washington Creek Lavender Farm.


I can't wait until next year when we can return to see
 how their plants do after the winter.  
Thanks for the tour Jack, we loved our visit!   







9 comments:

  1. Wow, all of that lavender hanging is so pretty! You find the best places to visit.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a great place to visit! I adore lavender and have done a little decorating and cooking with mine. I have a small patch, and about 1/3 of mine died over the winter. Love the fragrance of lavender! Thanks for sharing. I'd like to visit there too.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sonia, what a sweet place! Love how they hung the lavender up on the racks. Have a good weekend. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I really enjoyed (vicariously) your visit to this beautiful lavender farm! I have been searching for lavender oil because I hear it is good for pain. However, I can't seem to find any!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hello Sonia, this must have been such a fragrant tour . . . not only beautiful but a treat for the nose, too :) I love the Black-eyed Susans as well . . . they are one of my favorite simple flowers. I am excited to have found your blog and just became your newest follwer :)
    Connie :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sonia, I do not know how I missed this post but I did.. I love lavender.. I am strongly considering growing a row just so I can cut and use in wreaths and arrangements or just to hang..I had two plants this year and both died.. They were in pots.. I am thinking that I water way to much..What a great place to visit.. Enjoyed this.. Blessings!

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a wonderful day that must have been surrounded by lavender in such a pretty setting.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi Sonia,

    What a sweet thing for your hubby to do and it looks like it's amazing. I would love to visit a lavender farm some time. Your pictures are wonderful. I can't imagine how good it must've smelled inside the drying barn.

    ReplyDelete

I love to hear from you!