Sunday, August 15, 2010

Summer Bruschetta & Mozzarella Salad


The dog days of summer are here in Oklahoma and everyone is searching for ways to stay cool.  Cooking doesn't always top my list when it's over 100 degrees outside but I decided we needed a fast and easy summer salad/appetizer today.   With all this heat my basil plant desperately
needed a haircut anyway! 
Don't you just love fresh basil?


My favorite summer salad always includes sweet tomatoes, olive oil and balsamic vinegar.  I just added fresh basil and buffalo mozzarella then layered all the ingredients for a cool and pretty salad.  I love using colorful ingredients.


I found these colorful Dansk plates...two salad and two dinner plates for a grand total of $4.oo at a thrift store.  I though they would be fun to use for  summer salads or Italian pasta dishes.  


My guys love bruschetta and it's such a delicious appetizer, easy to make and perfect if you have a surplus of basil.


I use a demi loaf of  asiago or sourdough bread.  I drizzle each slice with olive oil, cracked pepper and sea salt and then top with roasted garlic spread and a few pieces of minced fresh garlic.    Place in a 450 oven for 3-4 minutes until the
slices crisp up. 


Remove and layer the basil leaves and cover with a slice of mozzarella.  Top with halved sweet cherry and pear tomatoes that have been salted and peppered then drizzle with balsamic
 vinegar and olive oil.



Finally a sprinkle of parmesan cheese and fresh basil. 

Bake or broil until cheese is melted for a minute or two..I usually stand and keep an eye on them as they can burn so quickly. 

Tip: I also use non-stick foil so they don't stick as the cheese melts. 

They are so pretty and don't last long at my house....I barely had time to take a picture before the guys devoured them.


They are perfect with pasta or grilled steak!

Stay cool!

I'm linking with 
Nifty Thrifty Tuesdays,
Designs by Gollum's
Foodie Friday,
Chari's Sunday Favorites and
The Tablescaper's Summer Sundays

15 comments:

  1. oh yum!! great photos too. That looks fabulous!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This sounds delicious. I have an abundance of fresh basil in the yard and I have all the ingredients except the bread. I will pick that up tomorrow and give this a try. Thanks for sharing this idea.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That looks delicious, and those plates are so cute! We used to have a Dansk outlet here in Southampton, but they went out of business! I loved the place, and gave them a lot of my money!!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great thrift store find. I love your pear shaped tomatoes!

    :)
    ButterYum

    ReplyDelete
  5. I just started cooking Mediterranean...haven't tried making bruschetta yet. Those look good-- will be trying that soon.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Truly the prettiest bruschetta I have ever seen. I can only imagine how yummy it is. THanks for visiting, have a wonderful weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Looks like a perfect summer meal!

    ReplyDelete
  8. They look absolutely delicious!! I can never resist bruschetta and your sounds and looks wonderful!

    Jeanne :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Those look awesome! I have had a few close calls with the camera and hungry teens! LOL You have to snap quick with food this good.
    Sherry

    ReplyDelete
  10. Your bruschetta looks amazing...I can smell the fresh basil & garlic from here :-)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hi, I'm a new follower. I discovered your blog from The Tablescaper's Summer Sundays party.

    I LOVE bruschetta, and yours definitely looks fabulous. There is nothing quite like the taste of fresh basil.

    Have a lovely day,
    Patti @ Fill My Cup with Beauty

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hi sweet friend...

    So good to see you for Sunday Favorites this week! Mmmm...Girl, you have made me soooo hungry with your bruschetta and mozzarella salad!!! It looks and sounds fabulous and you're absolutely right...it's such a pretty and colorful dish!!! Speaking of dishes...love, love, LOVE your pretty Dansk pasta bowls and plates! They look like they were made for this dish!

    Well sweet friend, I do hope that my note is finding you and your sweet family all doing well! It's been busy at my place but maybe it will begin to slow down a bit! I haven't been able to do as much blog visiting as I would like! Stay cool, Darlin'!

    Love ya,
    Chari @Happy To Design

    ReplyDelete
  13. This looks so good and simple to make. Thanks!...Christine

    ReplyDelete
  14. Yummy yummy! I'll be right over! :) Visiting from Sunday Favorites.

    ReplyDelete

I love to hear from you!