Sunday, June 27, 2010

Cool Summer Ceviche for Two

On hot summer days I love serving cold shrimp ceviche as an appetizer or a light meal.    A few restaurants make a really great ceviche here in OKC, but I enjoy making it fresh and adding lots of shrimp.  I change the recipe a tad here and there depending on what I crave or have on hand.    Last evening I added fresh pineapple for a sweet compliment to the
tomatoes and lime.  You can also add mango instead, my market was out so I substituted the pineapple.


 I thawed some frozen precooked shrimp and chopped up my favorite fresh veggies for a homemade salsa.   The colors are as pretty as the taste.


I layered half of an avocado in the bottom of the glass and then a generous portion of the ceviche~a cool and refreshing dinner after working in the hot summer sun.  


I love serving ceviche in a pretty glass and then placed on plates...  
onto a woven tray and out to the patio for
an easy dinner.     




Recipe:

Summer Shrimp Ceviche

1 lb of cooked and  cleaned shrimp
4 small tomotoes diced or a small container of cherry tomotes quartered
1/2-1 c fresh pineapple diced (optional)
garlic salt to taste
ground pepper to taste
1/2 orange sweet pepper diced
1 bunch of cilantro finely chopped
1 small vidalia onion finely chopped
1 bunch green onions chopped
1/4 c olive oil
1/4 c. red wine vinegar
1/4 c. lime juice
1 small seeded jalepeno if desired for heat


Combine, chill and let marinate 
for a least 30 minutes.
Serve over a bed of lettuce as a first course salad  or
in a large margarita glass over diced avocado as an appetizer  or even a light summer meal.  Serve with tortilla chips.

I'm linking with Foodie Friday this week.

Enjoy!

 

5 comments:

  1. Hi Sonia, This looks and sounds wonderful. I am hosting a small luncheon soon and this sounds like the perfect dish. Thanks for sharing.
    xo, Sherry

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sonia this sounds soooo yummmy! We just love shrimp dishes. Thank you for posting this recipe. I'll try it soon.

    Have a good day!
    ~Melissa :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thats almost too pretty to eat but if i was there i sure would.. Thank you for the recipe.

    Sonny

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think I am going to have some tonight, this is a great summer treat.

    ReplyDelete

I love to hear from you!