Monday, June 8, 2015

First Lilies

The first lilies in my garden bloomed this weekend. The  Stargazer bloomed a little early but that's okay with me.    I'm sure all the rain and cool weather
 has plants confused as to what season it is, but I'm always 
excited to see the first lilies.  


I really think Stargazer lilies are my favorite flower...that is if I HAD to pick just one.   
I'm so glad I can have several favorites because my love of flowers goes back to my earliest memories as a child.


I was blessed to live in Hawaii and completed kindergarten through third grade there.   We were always surrounded by flowers.   I remember making leis out of plumeria  flowers that grew in our front yard.   They smelled wonderful and were easy to thread because of the way the flower petals join leaving a small round hole.



Orchids were easy to thread too and we usually purchased these leis since we didn't have orchids 
growing in our yard. 


I grew up in such floral abundant places like Florida, California, Hawaii and the Philippines.  I have to work a little harder to enjoy flowers here in Oklahoma but I so enjoy being surrounded by blooms in the garden 
and it's always worth the effort.


I had a great -aunt who was the President of the Pensacola Garden Society back in the 1960's.  She was born with a green thumb and had a wonderful greenhouse.  I was always a little afraid of stumbling upon a snake in there but I so enjoyed my childhood visits to her greenhouse!  
She also instilled in me a love of 
flowers and gardening. 


Flowers make me smile and remind me of the 
beautiful places I've been and those I've spent time 
with in the garden.  



We are looking forward to another visit to Butchart Gardens for our anniversary next month.  
I'm counting the days!





8 comments:

  1. I can't even imagine having the abundance of flowers you described from Hawaii. Wow!!

    Looking forward to your trip pictures.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautiful garden! I'm featuring daylilies in this week's post. Great minds. '-)
    Envious of your trip to Butchart Gardens. I hope to return there myself if I get to Victoria Island this fall.

    ReplyDelete
  3. How wonderful to have lived in Hawaii! I'm sure that's where you came to love your flowers and turn your thumb green!!! I love lilies, too.

    Jane x

    ReplyDelete
  4. So pretty! I love the necklace. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. P.S. I just saw you said you lived in Hawaii! I was born in Honolulu but have never been back in all my 50+ years. We moved from there to North Dakota (yes, really!) when I was two. My you have lived in many lovely places. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Sonia, I love Stargazers too. The fragrance is intoxicating! Yours are lovely. I enjoyed hearing about your memories and where you've lived over the years. Butchart Gardens - I'm envious! I've been there too and it's my favorite garden that I've ever seen. How amazing it is! Hope you will post some photos from your travels there, Sonia. :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I have stargazers in my garden also. I love them. Love the pretty lei's. Lovely photos. Hugs, LJ

    ReplyDelete
  8. Your garden is so very pretty. Oh and I would love living in Hawaii. I'm always drooling when I see pictures from the beautiful islands there. I really like those leis, too, by the way.

    Have a lovely week ahead... :)

    ReplyDelete

I love to hear from you!