Thursday, July 4, 2013

Outdoor Chandelier

I was excited to find my outdoor chandelier
 project featured on Flea Market Gardening's website.  If you haven't visited their facebook page or website and love flea market goodies, then go check them out!   This is a great place to find and exchange ideas for repurposing items
 for the garden!  



Sue has organized reader's photos into
 wonderful albums. 



I purchased the chandelier at a garage sale for $8 and it's been hanging in the corner of my garage for many years.  I had originally intended to use it in the dining room but my sweet and sometimes not too careful husband broke 3 of the glass shades while hanging his bike up.    In the end the chandelier didn't look right with my dining room furniture anyway...so it stayed back in 
the corner until Pinterest came along!

Via Pinterest:









I have been eyeing outdoor chandeliers on
Pinterest and got the idea to use that 
old chandy outside.


I removed the top three wired bulb holders with some pliers but left the bottom tier bulb holders intact in case I ever wanted to use 
taper candles in them.  I also removed part of the wiring at the top, the ceiling cover and some of the chain.  Even me a girlie- girl can do this! 



Next I wraped each of the interior of the glass shades on the lower tier  with some sheet moss and added a little bit of potting soil and placed one bedding plant in each shade.  I chose asparagus ferns and impatiens and they fit perfectly into each shade. 




 The ferns will eventually trail and the impatiens will add some color.    The nice thing is the shades come off easily and I can change out to candles for more light if need be.  Also the flowers can be changed seasonally. 



I added votive glass candle holders to the top tier and then hung the chandelier from a tree on a large s-hook.  This makes it easy to take down in the event of a storm or move to another location.   



This was an easy project and I wish I
 had finished it sooner ...thanks to Pinterest 
for the inspiration!




Happy Fourth of July!

We've got our red, white and blue on the porch! 




I'm linking 

with Tootsie's Fertilizer Friday
and Susan's Metamorphosis Monday

6 comments:

  1. How fantastic. Your feature is well-deserved! I love your project as well as the inspirational photos.

    xo,
    Ricki Jill

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your chandelier looks terrific, Sonia! Love the ferns and impatiens. Your yard is looking great and I love the 4th of July decor too.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Now that's a great idea! Super job. Cherry Kay

    ReplyDelete

I love to hear from you!