Saturday, October 17, 2009

Sunday Favorites-Happy Sunflowers

This is one of my favorite tablescapes...and my choice for Chari's Sunday's Favorites. I use sunflowers in my home in the fall as well as summer -so I thought it would be a good re-run post. Drop by and visit our amazing hostess Chari to see everyone's favorites this week. She is definitely one my favorites!!
Originally posted (5/13/09)

Sunflower Inspired Tablescape for Two

Last summer while shopping I found the cutest sunflower tablecloth and napkin set. The best part was it was a Department 56 ensemble on sale for 75% off-how could I resist? I hadn't found any dishes that would coordinate so I put out an APB with my girlfriends. I finally found my sunflower plates at Pier One this past weekend and I just love how they look layered with two other plates.












I think yellow sunflowers are such happy flowers and they come in so many colors and varieties. Bright yellow is definitely my favorite!







I grew sunflowers from seed last summer and ended up with a six footer...I think the variety was Mammoth...so appropriately named. I definitely needed to stake this one as it grew taller than me!






One of my dear friends Luann was out helping me locate dishes and found this adorable sunflower serving piece at a garage sale! She gave it to me for Mother's Day and will be so cute to serve chips and dip or vegies on. It's such a nice piece and just love it ! Thanks Lu!!





I looked in thrift, gift, and antique stores thinking I might find some bright bold fiestaware plates in yellow, orange or red but when I spotted the sunflower dishes I was sold!






I have layered red chargers from Portgual ( I got on sale at T.J. Max shopping with my fellow blogger Tina) with my grandmother's "Brentwood" dinner plates as a background to the sunflower luncheon plates. I haven't used my grandmother's china in many years...but the periwinkle blue was a perfect match to the blue in the tablecloth! I am so happy to use these plates again in a new updated setting.




She gave these to me as a wedding present 33 years ago!








I found the sweetest florist in a little shop in the historic district of Crown Heights. Her shop is called "A Date with Iris" and the owner's name is Stephanie. I showed her my napkin and she helped me pick out a few sunflowers and gerbera daises along with a lovely little periwinke flower that I have never seen. She was a delight and wrapped the flowers in brightest colors of tissue paper.





Her business card is adorable!







(Thanks Deb for the garden bench)


The border of the tablecloth is so fun...black and white checks along the edge just give it a touch of whimsy! I love whimsy.








I even had a few early visitors to my table... They just arrived and it was their first visit to my home. I think they love sunflowers too!









....our maybe they just wanted a "Date with Iris."






Hope your day is filled with sunflowers and sunshine!






33 comments:

  1. I absolutely love this. The Pier One sunflowers are perfect! I would have snapped that tablecloth up in a minute....it's so cute! ~ Robyn

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looks like summertime! Absolutely beautiful! I love the colors!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your tablecloth and napkins are so fun and pretty! Your plates all match/coordinate perfectly. So pretty!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love the sunflower plates! such a happy tablesccape! Happy Tablescape Thursday ~ Susan

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sonia, you smart girl. I never buy things unless I have the whole get up. You know, the plates, the napkins, etc. Buying the things you love and adding to them is much smarter. Besides the hunt is fun! We will have to meet one day. I enjoyed learning about the shop in Crown Heights.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh my but I love this!!!
    Joyce

    ReplyDelete
  7. The tablecloth just sets the stage and then the dishes are just perfect. Such a gorgeous tablescape. Hugs, Marty

    ReplyDelete
  8. Love the tablecloth and the sunflowers are so happy - this is a great tablescape.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Love your vibrant colors and that business card is a unique!! I also love your quote under your header...

    ReplyDelete
  10. Absolutely adorable! Love the sunflowers! :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. I just jumped over here to respond to your post about the Lamplighter Inn and found this pretty tablescape post. The plates are all perfect together! The new with the old is wonderful. Aren't Pier One and TJ Maxx the best?

    The Lamplighter Inn is such an adorable place! Our wedding anniversary is in January. We spent our honeymoon in Carmel and returned every year for our anniversary for the first 20+ - with the exception of #'s 10 and 20 when we went on cruises. We love getting the off-season rates! The past 3 we've been going to Pismo Beach because that's where we would like to retire. You're right - Carmel is too, too pricey - especially if you retire!! We are very, very blessed to live only an hour and 20 mins. from Carmel so we can slip down for a day - but nothing beats a long weekend!

    Happy Thursday!
    Robin

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hey sweet girl...

    Read your note and came right over! Ohhh myyy goodness...Darlin', your sunflower tablescape is stunning!!! I absolutely adore it...all the bright and happy colors (oh, I do love color!) Each and every detail is so perfect! The sunflower tablecloth and napkins...charming!!! I love all of its color combinations...you know, the periwinkle blue in the linens is not a color I would have expected with the red, yellow, and orange but it's the periwinkle blue that brings just the right color contrast!!! I really just can't get over it!!! Okay, for your pretty dishes...my goodness Girl, they are perfectly matched to the colors of your linens...your shopping around for the perfect dishes really paid off!!! I just love the sunflower plates...they're gorgeous and really make the entire table! They are the first thing to catch my eye! And the red chargers...beautiful! Such a pretty color of red and again, a perfect color match! I love it!!! Your Grandmother's china is lovely...and it really is the contrasting color that makes everything else spectacular!!! You really have outdone yourself, my friend!!! And all of the beautiful gerbera daisies are lovely! I was just married about 4 yrs. ago and these bright colored gerbera daisies were my table centerpieces for an outdoor reception! So you know I love them...hehe!!!

    Well my friend, I'm so glad that you were able to do your tablescape and get it posted after all...and glad you let me know! I wouldn't have wanted to miss out on this gorgeous eye candy!!! Beautiful...soooo beautiful!!!

    Warmest wishes,
    Chari

    ReplyDelete
  13. Sunflowers are the happiest flower ever... how could you possibly have a bad gathering with them around!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Hi There !
    Your post is so much fun.....Those sunflower plates really finish the table. Isn't it fun to add to a collectin ? Love that tablecloth,especially ! You really did a fab job !
    Hugs ~ Kammy

    ReplyDelete
  15. Oh my goodness, how bright and cheerful and totally wonderful! The sunflower plates are so cute, and I LOVE all the happy colors of your table. :)

    ReplyDelete
  16. Nice to see such bright colors and I love the sunflower theme! Very jazzy and so cute!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Oh, I love this tablescape!....so bright....so inviting. Your tablecloth and dishes are fabulous. Look!....even the Target birds love it. :-)
    Have a beautiful day

    ReplyDelete
  18. I love the sunflowers. They just scream SUMMER to me.

    Christi @ A Southern Life
    http://asouthernlife.com

    ReplyDelete
  19. Your table made me smile. :) Laura @ the mansion

    ReplyDelete
  20. Those sunflower plates are just the cutest things! I love how you have matched everything. The tablecloth and napkins are so joyful! What an inviting and happy tablescape. laurie

    ReplyDelete
  21. I'm loving your sunflower theme! The tablecloth is perfect as are your dishes. Beautiful flowers, too!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Sonia, Your Tablescape is so very HAPPY!!! I love it...and a very sweet blog. I have not as yet participated in "Tablescapes", but thinking I will soon..Please stop by and visit also..~Kathy~ @ sweetup-northmornings.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  23. Wow~ That is a perfect tablescape for your dining area!! LOVELY!!
    Blessings~LillySue

    ReplyDelete
  24. This post makes me long for summer to come back!

    :)
    ButterYum

    ReplyDelete
  25. Such a pretty tablescape! Thank you for sharing it again!

    ReplyDelete
  26. What a happy table. I could just picture sitting there long after the meal was done just chatting away and drinking coffee.

    ReplyDelete
  27. A very nice table! love the vibrance of it. And what a deal your got! 75% off? Way to go!

    ReplyDelete
  28. Mornin' Girlfriend...

    So sorry for being so late to get by but our weekend was soooo busy! I'm just now getting to the computer. I'm was just elated when I seen the post that you chose to re-share with us for Sunday Favorites...because...it's one of my most favorite tablescapes!!! I remember when you first posted it...it truly was like a breath of fresh air with all those beautiful vibrant colors...and ohhh...all those pretty sunflowers!

    Honestly...my first thought when I see your sunflower tablescape is...French bistro in Provence!!! Using the sunflowers and those colors are just so indictive of Provencal France! Of course I just love your little sunflower plates but pairing them with your Grandmother's blue china and that beautiful red charger...fabulous!!! The place setting is soooo perfect with that gorgeous tablecloth! I love it, Girlfriend!!! The beautiful vases of sunflowers and gerbera daisies are the "icing on the cake"! This is really one of my favorite tablescapes of all time...thank you so much for sharing it with us again! And thank you for joining in with Sunday Favorites this week, Darlin'! Your post was such a treat!!!

    Love ya,
    Chari

    ReplyDelete
  29. Hello Sonia. Lovely table scape and gorgeous presentations. Love your sunflowers!
    Enjoy the weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  30. i found this posting when i googled images for sunflower dishes. these are exactly what i have been looking for! but since i see you got them a a thrift store, i guess i will keep looking :-) anyway, your table looks lovely, and i just thought you might like to know that google knows you exist ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  31. That plates, the napkins, etc are looking so great with awesome arrangement. Buying this type of things are great and adding them with lots of stuffs is much smarter. I enjoyed learning about the shop in Crown Heights.
    radio controlled helicopters

    ReplyDelete

I love to hear from you!